Aims

To support the free and open dissemination of research findings and information on alcoholism and alcohol-related problems. To encourage open access to peer-reviewed articles free for all to view.

For full versions of posted research articles readers are encouraged to email requests for "electronic reprints" (text file, PDF files, FAX copies) to the corresponding or lead author, who is highlighted in the posting.

___________________________________________

Sunday, November 20, 2011

The age of vulnerability: ‘Most girls drink to fit in’


It’s tea time at Tim Horton’s, and my guest is letting hers steep, her wary eyes focused on the long line at the till.

A tall girl of 17, with glossy chestnut hair, Nivea skin and a winsome smile, she pauses and looks away before she begins her story. Who can blame her? There’s a lot to tell. Laura, as she wants to be known, has never had a legal drink — and she hopes she never will.

“There are days when I feel like I’m 90,” says the Grade 12 student, who celebrated one year of sobriety in January. “My friends say they think I could drink again, but I say no. I’d end up on the top of a building and have no idea how I got there.” > > > > Read More